SDC Yazeed Al-Rajhi claims narrow victory in inaugural Rally Qassim 2019
RALLY QASSIM 2019 – October 17-19, 2019
For immediate release
Saturday, October 19h, 2019
YAZEED AL-RAJHI CLAIMS NARROW VICTORY IN INAUGURAL RALLY QASSIM 2019
BURAIDAH (Saudi Arabia): Saudi Arabia’s Yazeed Al-Rajhi overcame an overnight five-minute time penalty that had pushed him down to second place to recover, set the second fastest time and confirm victory in Rally Qassim 2019, the second round of the Saudi Toyota Desert Rally Championship, on Saturday.
The Toyota Hilux driver was handed the time penalty by race officials on Friday evening for receiving outside assistance in the stage after his driveshaft issue. That had lifted Yasir Seaidan into the lead at the restart, but the challenge to Al-Rajhi and Ulster co-driver Michael Orr actually came from Sheikh Khalid Al-Qassimi on the last day.
The Abu Dhabi Racing driver set the fastest time of 1hr 47min 04sec on the Al-Shamasiya stage in his Peugeot 2008 and he and French co-driver Xavier Panseri reached the finish a mere 10 seconds adrift of Al-Rajhi’s Toyota after an impressive drive.
“I am very happy to win Rally Qassim after the problems we had yesterday with the differential and losing a lot of time,” said Al-Rajhi. “I enjoyed the rally very much. The organisers did a great job to put on the first edition of Rally Qassim. The number of competitors was very high, even more than some of the international rallies in this region.
“It was tough to lose so much time on Friday. It was difficult to get that time back today because the stages are flat out. I would also like to thank my strategic partner Toyota and Abdul Latif Jameel Motors. The Hilux was in its best place in the desert.”
Seaidan and Portuguese co-driver Paulo Fiuza had to settle for third place in their X-raid-built MINI All4 Racing after finishing the day’s special a little under four minutes behind Al-Qassimi.
Essa Al-Dossari and French co-driver Sébastien Delaunay reached the Buraidah finish in fourth overall on the new off-road event being organised by the Saudi Automobile and Motorcycle Federation (SAMF) under the chairmanship of H.R.H. Prince Khalid bin Sultan Al-Abdullah Al-Faisal.
Czech Miroslav Zapletal moved up to fifth in his Ford F-150 Evo, Khalid Al-Feraihi was sixth and Emirati Abdullah Al-Heraiz climbed to seventh in his Nissan when Ali Al-Kharraz lost time and slipped out of contention. The Nissan trio of Ahmed, Faris and Mutair Al-Shammeri rounded off the top 10.
11th-placed Yousef Al-Suwaidi confirmed the win in the T2 section for series production cross-country vehicles and Khalil Al-Tuwaijri won T3 and headed a Can-Am 1-2-3 in the category from Yousef Al-Dhaif and Saleh Al-Saif.
Saudi drifting supreme Saeed Al-Mouri teamed up with Lebanese co-driver Joseph Matar, but the Nissan driver was sidelined with overheating issues.
UAE rider Mohammed Al-Balooshi sealed victory in the motorcycle category with the second fastest time on the last stage on his KTM 450 Rally. The success was the Emirati’s second in the space of a month after his recent win at the Jordan Baja.
Saudi rider Mishal Alghuneim finished second overall, 4min 01sec behind Al-Balooshi, after winning Saturday’s stage in a time of 2hr 30min 20sec. Kuwait’s Abdullah Al-Shatti had been awarded seven hours of time penalties for missing waypoints on Friday and he came in seventh. Emirati Abdulla Al-Dakhan and Saudi rider Abdullah Al-Helal finished third and fourth and Briton Anthony King was a distant eighth.
Abdulmajeed Al-Khulaifi sealed an emphatic victory in the quad section on his Yamaha with a final stage time of 2hr 42in 14sec. That gave the Saudi a winning margin of 1hr 43min 49sec over Riyadh Al-Oraifan. Sultan Al-Masoud made it a Yamaha 1-2-3, despite picking up 90 minutes of time penalties for missing waypoints.
Ibrahim Al-Muhanna teamed up with Osama Al-Sanad and Raed Abo Theeb to guide the sole Mercedes truck to the finish in the T4 category.
Rally Qassim 2019 ran with the support of the Saudi Automobile and Motorcycle Federation, the General Sport Authority, Abdul Latif Jameel Motors (Toyota), the MBC Group and Al-Arabia.
Rally Qassim 2019 – positions after SS3 (cars – unofficial @14.10hrs):
1. Yazeed Al-Rajhi (SAU)/Michael Orr (GBR) Toyota Hilux Overdrive 3hr 42min 14sec
2. Khalid Al-Qassimi (ARE)/Xavier Panseri (FRA) Peugeot 2008 3hr 42min 24sec
3. Yasir Seaidan (SAU)/Paulo Fiuza (PRT) MINI All4 Racing 3hr 44min 05sec
4. Essa Al-Dossari (SAU)/Sébastien Delaunay (FRA) Nissan Navara 3hr 53min 58sec
5. Miroslav Zapletal (CZE)/Marek Sykora (SVK) Ford F-150 Evo 4hr 04min 52sec
6. Khalid Al-Feraihi (SAU)/Stéphane Duplé (FRA) Nissan 4hr 05min 02sec
7. Abdullah Al-Huraiz (ARE)/Ali Hassan Obaid (ARE) Nissan Patrol 4hr 34min 26sec
8. Ahmed Al-Shammeri (SAU)/Ziad Al-Harbi (SAU) Nissan 4hr 46min 12sec
9. Faris Al-Shammeri (SAU)/Musa Djiyerian (JOR) Nissan 4hr 53min 19sec
10. Mutair Al-Shammeri (SAU)/Hani Al-Shammeri (SAU) Nissan 4hr 54min 15sec
11. Yousef Al-Suwaidi (SAU)/Saud Al-Tamimi (SAU) Nissan (T2) 5hr 01min 03sec
12. Khalil Al-Tuwaijri (SAU)/Waleed Al-Tuwaijri (SAU) Can-Am Maverick X3 (T3) 5hr 02min 03sec
13. Yousef Al-Dhaif (SAU)/Pedro Santos (PRT) Can-Am Maverick X3 (T3) 5hr 03min 52sec
14. Saleh Al-Saif (SAU)/Muath Al-Arja (SAU) Can-Am Maverick X3 (T3) 5hr 04min 17sec
Rally Qassim 2019 – positions after SS3 (bikes - unofficial):
1. Mohammed Al-Balooshi (ARE) KTM 450 Rally 5hr 11min 11sec
2. Mishal Algunheim (SAU) KTM 5hr 15min 12sec
3. Abdullah Bin Dakhan (ARE) Yamaha 8hr 09min 08sec
4. Abdullah Al-Helal (SAU) Honda 9hr 35min 38sec
5. Waleed Al-Nahad (SAU) Honda 9hr 39min 37sec, etc
Rally Qassim 2019 – positions after SS3 (quads - unofficial):
1. Abdulmajeed Al-Khulaifi (SAU) Yamaha 5hr 18min 43sec
2. Riyadh Al-Oraifan (SAU) Yamaha 7hr 02min 32sec
3. Sultan Al-Masoud (SAU) Yamaha 8hr 20min 45sec
4. Sufyan Al-Omar (SAU) Yamaha 8hr 47min 47sec
5. Abdulmajeed bin Sumaidie (SAU) Yamaha 9hr 23min 01sec, etc
Rally Qassim 2019 – positions after SS3 (truck - unofficial):
1. Ibrahim Al-Muhanna/Osama Al-Sanad/Raed Abo Theeb (SAU) Mercedes 6hr 43min 33sec
For further media information: Neil Perkins, International Media Officer (English), Rally Qassim 2019, Tel: + 44 7831 123153, E-mail: email@example.com.