CC South Racing Can-Am Team's Vorobyev and Garces finish third and fifth in T3 in Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge – March 31-April 4, 2019
2019 FIA World Cup for Cross-Country Rallies, round 2
For immediate release
Thursday, April 4th, 2019
SOUTH RACING CAN-AM TEAM’S VOROBYEV AND GARCES
FINISH THIRD AND FIFTH IN T3 CATEGORY IN ABU DHABI
· Oman’s Abdullah Al-Zubair sidelined after fourth stage crash in the dunes
ABU DHABI (UAE): The South Racing Can-Am Team enjoyed a successful week’s racing through the towering sand dunes of the United Arab Emirates by finishing third and fifth in the T3 category for FIA homologated SSV vehicles at the Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge, round two of the FIA World Cup for Cross-Country Rallies.
Third place for Fedor Vorobyev at the wheel of his South Racing-prepared Can-Am Maverick X3 enabled the Russian to maintain second place behind Brazilian Reinaldo Varela in the T3 Drivers’ Championship standings. This category is open to homologated and improved lightweight vehicles that comply with FIA technical regulations.
Vorobyev and fellow Russian co-driver Kirill Shubin entered the five-day rally under the Zavidovo Racing Team banner and overcame strong winds, shifting sands and punishing temperatures to guide their Maverick X3 to the finish behind category winner Casey Currie and runner-up Varela, also at the wheel of Can-Ams. Their best individual stage result came with the third fastest time on the first of the Liwa loop stages (SS2).
The Chilean duo of the experienced Hernan Garces and co-driver Juan Pablo Latrach reached the ceremonial finish at the Yas Marina race circuit on the outskirts of Abu Dhabi in fifth place in T3 in their South Racing Can-Am. Garces set the third fastest stage time on the last three selective sections through the dunes of the UAE’s Empty Quarter.
Oman’s Abdullah Al-Zubair delivered some strong stage performances in his AZ Racing Can-Am run by South Racing and was fourth quickest on the third timed section. He and Qatari navigator Nasser Al-Kuwari crashed out of contention on the fourth selective section and were unable to continue. Both crew members suffered minor neck injuries but will be back with the South Racing team at the Italian Baja in June.
South Racing Can-Am Team’s Scott Abraham, said: “It was another strong race for Hernan Garces and Fedor Vorobyev. Unfortunately, a broken gearbox on leg three delayed Hernan and Fedor had a small accident with the suspension. Both of them received time penalties but they finished a strong third and fifth in category. Fedor consolidates his second position in the FIA World Cup. Our next race with the cars is Kazakhstan and then on to the Baja World Cup.”
2019 Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge – final T3 results:
1. Casey Currie (USA)/Laurent Lichtleuchter (FRA) Can-Am Maverick X3 19hrs 43min 18sec
2. Reinaldo Varela (BRA)/Gustavo Gugelmin (BRA) Can-Am Maverick X3 19hrs 44min 30sec
3. Fedor Vorobyev (RUS)/Kirill Shubin (RUS) Can-Am Maverick X3 141hrs 53min 41sec
4. Camelia Liparoti (ITA)/Rosa Romero (ESP) Yamaha YXZ 1000R 144hrs 21min 27sec
5. Hernan Garces (CHL/Juan Pablo Latrach (CHL) Can-Am Maverick X3 146hrs 14min 07sec
6. Michele Cinotto (ITA)/Marco Arnoletti (ITA) Polaris RZR 1000 148hrs 58min 28sec
7. Jose-Luis Pena Campo (ESP)/Ignacio Santamaria (ESP) Polaris 154hrs 15min 25sec
8. Michel Fadel (ARE)/Craig Tyson (ARE) Polaris XP 1000 255hrs 34min 29sec
For further information: contact Scott Abraham, South Racing, Email: Scott.Abraham@southracing.com, Tel: + 49 172 6662880.
Facebook group: South Racing