NCMT Haberdashers steal the cup win at the Wheatsheaf


For immediate release
Thursday, December 20th, 2018


NEWPORT (Shropshire): The Wheatsheaf and the Haberdashers Arms locked horns at 3-3 in the second leg of their round one match of the Neil Clark Memorial Trophy, held in association with the Newport Pool League.

But it was the ‘Dashers who came away on top after a tense win. Nathan Shepherd disposed of Paul Skitt to put the visitors in front but Al Harvey beat Janet Smith to level. Ayla Mason stunned Nigel Sandbrook to push the away side back in front and Ant Heathcote made sure the match went to the wire with a win over Jon Mason. The away quartet came up with the goods when it mattered in the doubles to seal the tie after Mark Hodgkinson had taken a break from carol singing to make a festive appearance for the home side.

Gnosall’s Navigation followed up their 0-6 demolition of Legion B in the first leg with a 5-1 second leg win. Barry Smith shocked Kyle Oldfield to take the opener for the Legion, but singles wins followed for Bailey Wright, Dai Smith and Jamie Wright over Brad Borrett and Jess and Kim Rigby. Sean Casey joined the rout in the doubles for the Gnosall side.

Table-topping Legion A needed two frames from their return away leg with Kings Head B. George Allen lost his customary frame against his nemesis Greg Quinn, but the Legion prevailed in two of the other singles frames to seal their passage into round two by a 7-2 score line.

King’s Head A needed two frames from their second encounter with Junction A. Edd Keenan sealed the first one with a win over Sion Richards, but Hyla Marklew beat Graham Tigwell to give the home side a fighting chance. Irene Whittington confirmed the winning third frame against Steve Roycroft. Gordon Sidebotham undressed Gilly Theissen in the fourth to level the match on the night and the away side won both doubles frames.

Three-man Legion Yaks needed two frames from their home leg with the Sutherland Arms to move into round two. But they suffered an early scare when Neil Perkins jawed the black and let Jack Nagington in to seal the opener. It looked as though Jon Bailey was about to make it 0-2 to the visitors until Kevin Genner rescued victory from the jaws of defeat to level. Dean Smith sealed the 7-2 aggregate win against Matt Cowap in the third frame. A lack of players meant the home side conceded two frames on the night, but Genner and Perkins prevailed in the last doubles frame to make it 3-3.

The Lamb at Wrockwardine Wood took a 4-2 advantage into the home leg against Junction B and came away from the second match with a 9-3 win. Matty Roberts and John Stanley put the Lamb within sight of round two at the expense of Dave Blount and Jamie Morris, only for M. Gethin to pull a frame back with a win over George Stokes. Adam Walker sealed the tie against Ruth Minton and the home side won both doubles frames.

The traditional team cup knockout was introduced in 2007 in memory of former league team-winning captain Neil Clark, who passed away in October 2006 after a long illness.

Neil Clark Memorial Trophy – round 1 results (aggregate scores):

King’s Head A v Junction A, 9-3
Legion A v King’s Head B, 7-2
Junction B v Lamb Wrockwardine Wood, 3-9
Haberdashers Arms v Wheatsheaf, 7-5
Sutherland Arms Tibberton v Legion Yaks, 2-7
Legion B v Navigation Gnosall, 1-11


For further information:
Neil Perkins, NDP Publicity Services, Tel: 07831 123153







Date issued: 20/12/2018

For further information or assistance please contact:

NDP Publicity Services
Holly House, Station Road, Newport,
Shropshire TF10 7EN United Kingdom

Tel/Fax: +44 (0) 1952 825001
Mobile: + 44 (0) 7831 123153 (UK)

Email: ndppublicity@googlemail.com

Web: www.ndp-publicity.com

Return to Top          Powered by Infotex UK