MERC Nasser Saleh Al Attiyah wins opening stage of UAE Rally
2005 ADNOC Distribution UAE International Rally
FIA Middle East Rally Championship, round 1 of 9
For immediate release
Wednesday, February 2nd, 2005
QATAR'S NASSER SALEH AL-ATTIYAH SETS
FASTEST TIME IN OPENING UAE RALLY STAGE
UAE's defending champion Sheikh Khalid Al-Qassimi two seconds behind;
UAE's Rashid Al-Ketbi in third
AL-AIN (UAE): Qatar's Nasser Saleh Al-Attiyah and Ulster co-driver Chris Patterson were the early leaders of the ADNOC Distribution UAE International Rally after the opening four-kilometre timed super special stage, near Al-Ain, on Wednesday afternoon.
Defending FIA Middle East rally champions Sheikh Khalid Al-Qassimi and Michael Orr held second position in their Power Horse World Rally Team Subaru Impreza. The UAE's Rashid Al-Ketbi and Khaled Al-Kendi were third overall and Sharjah's Sheikh Abdullah Al-Qassimi and British co-driver Steve Lancaster were fourth in their new Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 8.
There will be eight special stages in the Sweihan region of the Abu Dhabi emirate on Thursday.
UAE International Rally - Positions after SS1 (unofficial):
1. Nasser Saleh Al-Attiyah (QA)/Chris Patterson (GB) Subaru Impreza WRX STi 2m 20s
2. Sheikh Khalid Al-Qassimi (UAE)/Michael Orr (GB) Subaru Impreza WRX STi 2m 22s
3. Rashid Al-Ketbi (UAE)/Khaled Al-Kendi (UAE) Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 8 2m 24s
4. Sheikh Abdullah Al-Qassimi (UAE)/Steve Lancaster (GB) Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 8 2m 30s
5. Andreas Tsouloftas (CY)/Savvas Laos (CY) Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 7 2m 34s
5. Michel Saleh (RL)/Ahmed Ghaziri (RL) Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 7 2m 34s
5. Ahmed Al-Sabban (KSA)Killian Duffy (IRL) Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 7 2m 34s, etc