CC Saudi crew of Al-Mashna and Al-Taimi extend their lead in Ha'il Nissan International Rally
HA’IL NISSAN INTERNATIONAL RALLY – April 2-5, 2017
For immediate release
Tuesday, April 4th, 2017
SAUDI’S AL-MASHNA AND AL-TAIMI EXTEND THEIR ADVANTAGE
AFTER DAY TWO OF HA’IL NISSAN INTERNATIONAL RALLY
· Nissans hold top three positions in Saudi Arabia’s premier off-road event
· Muneef Al-Salmani snatches advantage for Nissan in T2 showroom category
HA’IL (Saudi Arabia): The Nissan crew of Faris Al-Mashna and Saud Al-Taimi extended their unofficial overnight advantage to 3min 40sec after the second desert stage of the Ha’il Nissan International Rally on Tuesday.
The Saudi crew carded a stage time of 4hr 21min 41sec for the gruelling section through the An Nafud desert, north of Ha’il. Fellow Saudi Arabians, Mutair and Hani Matar Al-Shammeri, continue to hold second position in their Nissan Patrol and the Japanese manufacturer currently has a clean sweep of the podium places, courtesy of third-placed Ahmed Abdullah Al-Suhail.
“My goal before the rally was to finish behind the main two drivers, Yazeed Al-Rajhi and Rashed Al-Ketbi but, when they both retired yesterday, it gave me a great opportunity to push for the win on my local event,” said Al-Mashna.
Meshal and Bander Hamed Al-Saeedi began the day holding the advantage in the T2 category for series production cross-country vehicles, but delays cost the pair dearly and that lifted Muneef Al-Salmani to the top of the rankings in his Nissan Patrol.
Only 23 of the original field began the second stage. Both Rajah Farhan Al-Shammeri and Abdullah Al-Kutubi joined the list of retirements. A major fire also destroyed the Nissan of Khalid Al-Otaibi, but both members of the crew were totally unharmed by the incident.
Sami Talab Al-Shammeri took a wrong track and was expected to receive time penalties which would drop him down the leader board, but former event winner Ibrahim Al-Muhanna enjoyed a strong stage and moved back into contention for the top five.
The rally is being held under the patronage of His Royal Highness Prince Saud Bin Abdul Mohsen Bin Abdul Aziz, Governor of Ha’il, President of the Supreme Commission for Ha’il Development and the Head of the Supreme Commission of the Ha’il Rally.
Tomorrow (Wednesday), marks the third and final selective section of 285.48km. The timed action starts in Al-Farhaniyah and finishes near the town of Jubbah. The ceremonial finish will take place later that evening at the Maghawat Conference Centre on the outskirts of Ha’il.
Ha'il Nissan International Rally – positions after SS2 (unofficial @ 15.00hrs):
1. Faris Al-Mashna (SAU)/Saud Al-Taimi (SAU) Nissan 7hr 54min 46sec
2. Mutair Al-Shammeri (SAU)/Hani Al-Shammeri (SAU) Nissan 7hr 58min 26sec
3. Ahmed Abdullah Al-Shehail (SAU)/Rasheed Mslet (SAU) Nissan 8hr 14min 17sec
4. Al-Mushana Al-Shammeri (SAU)/Khalid Al-Safouq (SAU) Nissan 8hr 23min 33sec
5. Muneef Al-Salmani (SAU)/Ali Al-Sayari (SAU) Nissan T2 8hr 28min 46sec
6. Owaid Al-Ramali (SAU)/Yazeed Al-Shammeri (SAU) Toyota 8hr 32min 36sec
7. Ibrahim Al-Muhanna (SAU)/Osama Al-Sanad (SAU) Nissan 8hr 45min 21sec
8. Salman Saud Al-Shammeri (SAU)/Nawaf Al-Enezi (SAU) Toyota 8hr 47min 28sec
For further media information, contact, Audrey Graham, NDP Publicity Services, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org