CC Adel Hussein keeps FIA T2 title hopes alive with second place in Morocco
2016 OiLibya Rally of Morocco
FIA World Cup for Cross-Country Rallies, round 8
October 1-7, 2016
For immediate release
Friday, October 7th, 2016
NISSAN’S ADEL HUSSEIN ABDULLA PROVISIONALLY FINISHES
SECOND IN T2 IN MOROCCO TO KEEP TITLE HOPES ALIVE
· Qatari star files protest against rival’s car as results stay unofficial
ERFOUD (MOROCCO): Nissan’s Adel Hussein Abdulla survived the rigours of the Erg Chebbi during the final stage of the 2016 OiLibya Rally of Morocco and reached the finish in Erfoud classified second in the FIA T2 category in his Nissan Patrol on Friday.
The Qatari, driving a Nissan Patrol with support from Nissan Middle East, Nissan Qatar and the Qatar Motor and Motorcycle Federation (QMMF), entered the event 11 points behind series rival Yasir Saeidan and now trails the Saudi by 25 points with one rally to run in Portugal later this month, although the results remain provisional pending the outcome of a protest lodged by TOK Sport about the legality of his rival’s car.
With 25 points available for the victory in Portalegre, Adel Hussein and French navigator Sébastien Delaunay will need to win the category outright and hope that Saeidan fails to finish if their protest is not upheld.
“Today was one of the best days of the rally and I set the fastest time,” said Adel Hussein. “I had no problems at all and I had a gap to all my rivals. I finished second overall but the championship is not settled yet. I have one more event in Portugal and even this result in Morocco is still provisional and could change if there is a decision by the race Stewards and event organisers.
“I am a fighter and will never go up. I will push until the final kilometre in Portugal.”
Adel Hussein began the final day in determined fashion and clawed back 1min 25sec of Saeidan’s lead through the opening 44km of the 230km selective section through the Erg Chebbi. The Qatari went on to win the stage comfortably, but Saeidan held on to shadow the stage winner to the finish and confirm a provisional victory by the winning margin of 10min 24sec.
2016 OiLibya Rally of Morocco – positions after leg 5 (T2 class – unofficial @ 14.39hrs):
1. Yasir Saeidan (SAU)/Alexei Kuzmich (RUS) Toyota Land Cruiser 200 17hr 37min 15sec
2. Adel Hussein Abdulla (QAT)/Sébastian Delaunay (FRA) Nissan Patrol 17hr 47min 39sec
3. Abdullah Saleh (SAU)/Michael Orr (GBR) Toyota Land Cruiser 19hr 22min 40sec
4. Nicolas Falloux (FRA)/Antonia de Roissard (FRA) Toyota Land Cruiser 19hr 45min 07sec
5. Mohammed Al-Harqan (QAT)/Nasser Al-Kuwari (QAT) Toyota Land Cruiser 19hr 56min 13sec
FIA T2 Cross-Country Rally World Cup – positions after round 8 (unofficial):
1. Yasir Saeidan (SAU) 192 pts
2. Adel Hussein Abdulla (QAT) 167 pts, etc