F1 Qatar Team's Carella aims to extend UIM F1 H2O lead in China
2014 UIM F1 H2O WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP
Grand Prix of China - round 2, October 4-6
For immediate release
Wednesday, October 1st, 2014
QATAR TEAM’S CARELLA AIMS TO EXTEND UIM F1 H20 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP LEAD WITH THIRD SUCCESSIVE WIN IN LIUZHOU
· Qatar’s Torrente looking to kick-start title challenge in China
· Al-Kuwari and Al-Obaidly to represent Qatar Team in F-4S races
LIUZHOU (CHINA): The Qatar Team resumes its defence of the UIM F1 H20 World Championship crown at next Monday’s Grand Prix of China on Liuzhou’s Liu River.
It is nearly seven months since Qatar’s defending World Champion Alex Carella defied gusting winds on Doha Bay to begin the defence of his individual world crown in winning style at the Grand Prix of Qatar.
It was a tale of ups and downs for the Qatar Team on that occasion: Carella’s team-mate Shaun Torrente had led that race until an electrical fire put paid to his chances and he heads to next Monday’s race in China trailing Carella by 20 points with four races to go in Liuzhou, Qatar, Abu Dhabi and Sharjah.
Frenchman Philippe Chiappe lies five points behind Carella after round one and Portugal’s Duarte Benavente is third, eight points adrift.
“There’s been a big gap in the calendar and that was unfortunate, but we have been busy in that period and carried out some very useful testing in Italy at the end of July and the start of August,” said Khalid bin Arhama Al-Kuwari, head of formula racing at the Qatar Marine Sports Federation (QMSF), which runs under the presidency of His Excellency Sheikh Hassan bin Jabor Al-Thani.
“Brendan Power has made some engine modifications for us and we are raring to go in China. It’s a short season this year with just five races but we are ready to win again. Alex won in Liuzhou in 2012 and 2013 and I am sure he will be looking to make it a hat-trick of wins.
“Saying that, because of the shorter calendar, it is also important that Alex and Shaun finish all the races for the team. We have a great record in China. I suppose you could say we love Liuzhou. It is our course and our win.”
Khalid Abdullah Al-Kuwari and Mohamad Al-Obaidly will represent the Qatar Team in the UIM F-4S races for the Eurofin Trophy. Strong winds meant that one of the two F-4S races was cancelled in Qatar and teams arrive in Liuzhou with just one race completed this season.
Team Sweden’s Jesper Forss has a five-point advantage over Germany’s Mike Szymura. Khalid Abdullah Al-Kuwari lies fourth in the Drivers’ standings after his fourth-placed finish on Doha Bay. Qatar team-mate Mohamad Al-Obaidly is sixth.
A hectic two days of competition begins on Sunday, October 5th with free practice and time trials for both the F-4S and F1 racers. The first of the F-4S races for the Eurofin Trophy starts at 13.30hrs (08.30hrs Doha time) on Sunday and precedes F1 qualifying from 15.00hrs (10.00hrs Doha time).
Racing reaches a conclusion on Monday, October 6th. Further practice and F-4S time trials on Monday morning will be followed by the second of the F-4S races at 11.40hrs (06.40hrs Doha time) and the all-important 2014 Grand Prix of China at 15.10hrs (10.10hrs Doha time).
2014 UIM F1 H20 World Championship – positions after round 1:
1. Alex Carella (QAT) Qatar Team 20 pts
2. Philippe Chiappe (FRA) China CTIC Team 15 pts
3. Duarte Benavente (PRT) F1 GC Atlantic Team 12 pts
4. Francesco Cantando (ITA) Motorglass F1 Team 9 pts
5. Filip Roms (FIN) Mad-Croc Baba Racing Team 7 pts
6. Marit Stromoy (NOR) Team Nautica 5 pts
7. Xiong Ziwei (CHN) China CTIC Team 4 pts
8. Bartek Marszalek (POL) Motorglass F1 Team 3 pts
2014 F-4S Eurofin Trophy – positions after round 1:
1. Jesper Forss (SWE) Team Sweden 20 pts
2. Mike Szymura (DEU) F1 GC Atlantic Team 15 pts
3. Nikita Lijcs (LVA) Mad-Croc Baba Racing Team 12 pts
4. Khalid Abdullah Al-Kuwari (QAT) Qatar Team 9 pts
5. Morgan Jernfast (SWE) Team Nautica 7 pts
6. Mohamad Al-Obaidly (QAT) Qatar Team 5 pts
7. Jan Andre Landsnes (NOR) Motorglass F1 Team 0 pts
7. Bincheng Wu (CHN) China CTIC Team 0 pts
For further information:
Neil Perkins, NDP Publicity Services, Mobile: + 44 7831 123153, E-mail: email@example.com,
www.ndp-publicity.com (press releases). Twitter: @LordPerkins