H1 U-96 Spirit of Qatar's Villwock settles for third in Seattle
2011 Air National Guard H1 Unlimited Championship
Albert Lee Cup, Seattle Seafair, round 4 – August 5-7
For immediate release
Monday, August 8th, 2011
U-96 SPIRIT OF QATAR’S DAVE VILLWOCK
FORCED TO SETTLE FOR THIRD IN SEATTLE
· Back-to-back Seattle Seafair victories for Steve David
· QMSF-backed Villwock continues to top National High Points
SEATTLE (USA): Record-breaking U-96 Spirit of Qatar driver Dave Villwock was unable to continue his winning streak at the Seattle Seafair round of the Air National Guard Hydroplane on Lake Washington on Sunday.
Villwock was forced to settle for third place after the escape hatch on U-96 partially caved in during the final and he was forced to slow down. This meant that the local driver was unable to prevent Steve David from taking his second win of the season in U-1 Oh Boy! Oberto. Rookie Scott Liddycoat finished second, but Villwock extended his lead in the 2011 National High Points title race.
“I made a decision with the door and everything else,” said Villwock. “I said ‘I think everybody else has 700 or 1,000 points and I have 1,525 points’, so I think I’ll take my points and go home.”
Villwock won heats 2B and 3B on Sunday to add to his victory in slightly rougher conditions in Saturday’s heat 1A and his fastest time in Friday’s qualifying session.
U-96 Spirit of Qatar is backed by the Qatar Marine Sports Federation (QMSF), which runs under the presidency of His Excellency Sheikh Hassan bin Jabor Al-Thani. The team returns to action for the fifth round of the Air National Guard H1 Unlimited series at San Diego in California on September 16-18.
Seattle Seafair – final results
Position, driver, boat, speed
1. Steve David, Oh Boy! Oberto, 136.283 mph
2. Scott Liddycoat, Valken.com, 134.547 mph
3. Dave Villwock, Spirit of Qatar, 131.356 mph
4. J Michael Kelly, Degree Men, 123.691 mph, etc
National High Points after round 4 (Drivers - unofficial):
1. U-96 Spirit of Qatar Dave Villwock 5,825 points
2. U-5 Graham Trucking Jeff Bernard 4,625 points
3. U-7 Valken Sports Scott Liddycoat 4,325 points
4. U-1 Oh Boy! Oberto Steve David 3,536 points
5. U-17 Miss Red Dot Kip Brown 3,080 points
6. U-88 Degree Man J. Michael Kelly 3,042 points, etc
For further information:
Neil Perkins, NDP Publicity Services, Mobile: + 44 7831 123153, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org and www.ndp-publicity.com (press releases).
Steve Montgomery, Tel: + 1 206 618 8382, E-mail: email@example.com and Gregg Mansfield, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.