NPO Colin Pink crashes out of Coors Newport Pool Open to Ian Mason



For immediate release
Friday, September 12th, 2008




NEWPORT (Shropshire): Defending Coors Newport Pool Open champion Colin Pink crashed out of the tournament in three straight frames to Ian Mason at the Junction in Norbury.


The Hinstock player, who disposed of 2006 champion Paul Trevor in four frames in the previous round, was the favourite to win the title for a second successive year, but came up against an in-form Mason, who had already bypassed Ray Talbot and beaten Audco’s Luke Jones. The Gnosall player now heads into the quarter-final draw at the end of the month.


“Fair play to Ian he played really well,” said Pink. “I was never really in it. He took his chances and that’s what you need to do. I wish him all the best in the next round.”


A trip to Australia meant that local stamp dealer Ian Perry was forced to delay his second round encounter with the Tavern’s Anthony Winfield. But the former doubles’ finalist managed to squeeze past the tournament debutant in four frames at the King’s Head to book a third round meeting with Steve Whitlock at the Navigation in Gnosall.


New tournament favourite and last year’s beaten finalist Andy Lycett was taken to a deciding frame at the Audco by an inspired Jim Kelly in his third round tie. The tension was paramount in the decider, but Lycett held his nerve to reach the quarter-finals.


Ben Longstaff and Greg Heathcote booked a semi-final appearance in the Worthington’s Doubles and a place at finals’ night at the Audco Club on October 22nd, with a scrappy 3-1 win over Jack Jones and Jack Dicken.


Their opponents raced into a one-frame lead and should have made it 2-0 after being gifted at least three chances to clear the table by an out-of-sorts Heathcote and Longstaff.


But they failed to take their chances and, when Heathcote saved the frame with a long pot on the black, the writing was on the wall for the youngsters, with Heathcote and Longstaff finding form late on to seal the next two frames.


Last year’s beaten finalists, Ian and Bob Perry, survived a marathon five-frame encounter at the King’s Head against Stu and Wayne Morrey to reach the last four and remain on course to better last year’s final defeat at the hands of Andy Lycett and Anthony Heathcote.


Remaining results should be sent by text message to 07831 123153, clearly stating the names of players and the score. All remaining ties to be played by Friday, September 26th.


Results - singles

Ian Perry beat Anthony Winfield, 3-1 

Ian Mason beat Colin Pink, 3-0

Andy Lycett beat Jim Kelly, 3-2       


Results - doubles

Jack Jones/Jack Dicken lost to Ben Longstaff/Greg Heathcote, 1-3                 

Ian Perry/Bob Perry beat Stu Morrey/Wayne Morrey, 3-2



For further information:
Neil Perkins, NDP Publicity Services, Tel: 07831 123153













Date issued: 12/09/2008

For further information or assistance please contact:

NDP Publicity Services
Holly House, Station Road, Newport,
Shropshire TF10 7EN United Kingdom

Tel/Fax: +44 (0) 1952 825001
Mobile: + 44 (0) 7831 123153 (UK)

Email: ndppublicity@googlemail.com

Web: www.ndp-publicity.com

Return to Top          Powered by Infotex UK